Music Events

This week is Music Week, with a variety of professional musicians working with our students across the school to help develop the considerable talents of our music students. I have visited a few of the sessions and have been very impressed by the manner in which the students have engaged with the process, and how they have risen to the challenges that have been put to them by the visitors. At the Senior School assembly on Wednesday, Adam Page, Ross Irwin and Nick Mulder entertained the school with a marriage of technology and music.  I am looking forward to Music Night on Friday to see the results of all the hard work that has been invested by the students, Music Staff and our guests to make the evening a memorable experience.

One of the benefits of weeks such as this is for the students to see the passion that such professionals have for their craft, and how generous they are with their time and expertise to encourage the students to be better. The other benefit is for the students to see how much fun they have in making music.

Next week is the SA Band Festival, which is again hosted at Westminster, and brings together ensembles from schools all over South Australia. We have had a history of achieving considerable success in the various Divisions, which I am confident will be repeated in 2017. I would like to thank in advance the Music Staff for all the work that they have put in to have each ensemble playing at a high level.

Intercol

Next week we host Pembroke School in the annual Winter Intercol. I know our students are looking forward to the competition and, of course, for the Year 12 students this will be their last opportunity to compete in this event. The competition begins on Wednesday afternoon with Girls’ Soccer and ends with the 1st XVIII Football match on Saturday afternoon. This is an event which brings the student population together to support each other in a large number of sporting contests and display genuine school pride. I wish all students all the best in their matches.

School TV

In the previous edition of the eNews, I mentioned a new information service to parents via School TV. Unfortunately, due to a couple of problems, this will now be available in the next edition. This link to School TV will allow you to see the professionals who will be giving advice and the topics that they cover. If you have any concerns regarding the mental health of your son or daughter, please do not hesitate to contact the school for support and information about where to go for help.

Westminster Community Directory

We have updated the Westminster Community Directories (Preparatory and Senior) for Semester 2.

If you wish to download the updated version, both School directories can be found through this link: https://family.westminster.sa.edu.au on the right hand side of the page.

To access the directories you will be required to login to the family portal. It is very straightforward but if you have issues with this, please go to the family portal FAQ and follow the instructions: http://community.westminster.sa.edu.au/Family/Pages/PortalFAQ.aspx

Reflections 2016

The 2016 year book Reflections will be distributed over the coming two weeks to families from Reception to Year 12 in 2016. Each family will receive a courtesy copy via their youngest child (Reception to Year 12) still at Westminster. Local students who have left without a younger brother or sister still at Westminster (eg Class of 2016) will be advised when the magazine is ready to collect from the Senior School Office. If no longer local, these will be posted.

If any ELC families would like to purchase a copy, then please advise ELC Receptionist Penny Johnson.

If you do not receive a copy and should have, please contact Communications Manager Peter Trenorden (’77), via Email.

David Wallage
Head of Senior School