Wellbeing@West

At the beginning of this term, I was lucky enough to take some Long Service Leave. Along with my partner, I had the joy of visiting my son and his young family in Sweden to spend quality time with my beautiful granddaughter who is 6 months of age. We then set sail from Athens for a two-week Mediterranean Cruise, before returning to Sweden and a jaunt with the family to Norway. The trip concluded with a week in the US, seeing the amazing cities of New York, Las Vegas and Los Angeles.

I tell you this, not to make you jealous, although it was a pretty amazing trip, but because of what it made me reflect upon, on my return. Coming back to work in Week 4 was quite a challenge. My body was present, but to be honest, it took a little while for my head to catch up! Looking at my colleagues and the students around me, I was struck by the pace at which they were working, and the level of stress that was quite often present. I realised that if I had started the term off with them, I too would be exhibiting these characteristics – give me another couple of weeks, I’m sure I’ll be there!

This experience did cause me to reflect on how we care for ourselves when life takes over. Of course we can’t expect to live in a state of perpetual “I’ve-just-been-on-holidays” bliss. And certainly living through the challenging times of life make the pleasurable times that much sweeter. But I was reminded anew to remember to take time to care for ourselves. Part of our wellbeing focus with the students is to encourage them to get some balance in their lives. This might involve making sure they do something they enjoy on a regular basis, nurturing their relationships, or engaging in some mindfulness practices. My return to work in the middle of a busy term acted as a ‘note-to-self’. Feel free to ask me in a few weeks how I am tracking!

SchoolTV

One way that we might be able to help you cope with the challenges and stresses that are part of your life, is via a new resource that David Wallage has mentioned in previous eNews bulletins.

It’s never been more challenging for parents to raise happy, healthy and resilient children.

Like never before, parents need to be informed with clear, fact-based information on the many challenges faced by today’s youth. Topics such as youth anxiety, depression, self-harm, drug and alcohol use, cyberbullying, and many others need clear explanation and guidance.

SchoolTV is a new ongoing resource that is now available to our parents. Each edition will address a major topic with expert interviews, fact sheets, parent quiz, recommended apps, books, and much more. SchoolTV aggregates information from many great resources such as BeyondBlue and ReachOut amongst others. SchoolTV provides a single stream of independent factual information that saves parents time and confusion of searching online across multiple sites for information.

You can access the SchoolTV archive here: http://westminster.sa.schooltv.me/category-latest-newsletter

Liz Collins
Head of Wellbeing