Over the break I was working in China, visiting agents and partner schools who are interested in sending children to Westminster to benefit from our exceptional all-round education.   While at one school, I read this quote: If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.

The quote infers clearly that we can all be leaders, and that we can all be leaders through our actions or deeds.  What then forms our actions or deeds?  It is our thoughts and we control our thoughts.

Many have been attributed to the following quote: Watch your thoughts. They become words. Watch your words. They become deeds. Watch your deeds. They become habits. Watch your habits. They become character. Character is everything.

If we take the words of these quotes and let the right thoughts become words and then actions, we can all help lead positive change within ourselves and others around us.

Unfortunately, doing this is can be far more difficult than it would first seem, particularly with the rapid growth of social media.  While it is a popular and effective communication channel for thoughts, it runs the serious risk of being used inappropriately or becoming dangerous because of the dramatic decrease in the capacity for reflective thinking time around possible consequences of actions. We have also developed a ravenous appetite for sensationalistic news and the sharing of such online.  The rapid speed of sharing news has limited our capacity to stop and reflect on what our choices and subsequent consequences might be.  Meanwhile, our capacity to discern truth and find real knowledge has been eroded. All too often we accept a single source of truth, which may, in fact, be incorrect (dare I say ‘fake news’) or perhaps not the whole truth. We get caught up in being led rather than taking time to stop, think and take the lead through our actions.

Thankfully, within our community we have many prepared to be outstanding leaders through their actions, particularly as seen over the last few weeks of Term 1 in the lead up to the Fun Fair.  Congratulations and thank you to all who worked so hard to make this event as special as it was, and to our wonderful community for supporting it.  It was my first Fun Fair and, as I have learned, the actions of all involved do inspire others as has undoubtedly been the case for over 50 years.  I hope that you continue to inspire others to help make the Fun Fair a great community event again next year.

Simon Shepherd
Principal