Arriving at Westminster this week was a “full circle” moment for me.  Westminster has been a part of my family history with my father starting here in 1964, both my brother and myself going through the school in the 80's (thankfully no photos attached!) and now, my daughter Ella started in Grade 5 this year.

I recall many early memories of playing instruments in the “band room” with Dad, and watching school concerts in the old gym. I was proud to lead the school in 1989 as School Captain, only the second girl to do so in the School’s coeducational history.

I left South Australia almost immediately after finishing school, lived abroad as a Rotary Exchange Student in the “outback” of British Columbia, before returning for my Tertiary education. But then my travel bug kicked in and the pull of an international career with some travel thrown in, meant that I didn’t return until 2012! I have spent most of my career working interstate in Sydney, overseas in London for nine years, and in Thailand for eight years. In fact, my daughter has a Thai birth certificate (and a Thai name), and I struggled to move her away from rice and noodles for the first few years back in Adelaide.

My career focus at school was working in tourism and I hoped that I would end up promoting Australia to the world. I achieved this in London when leading the Media Relations and Promotions team for Tourism Australia following the Sydney Olympics – a fantastic time for Australian tourism and a great chance for me to lobby for Adelaide being more easily recognised as part of an Aussie holiday. I have worked across many other industry sectors, airlines, hotels, international education, property development, and journalism. Since my return to Adelaide, I have driven the international marketing strategy for the South Australian Tourism Commission here in Adelaide, which is now a 1.2billion dollar industry to our State.

I couldn’t think of a better time to give back to the school that gave me an amazing grounding, and leadership opportunities. I am excited about bringing a global perspective to the School, building on the legacy that already exists, and embracing this role with passion and integrity.  

I’m really looking forward to re-connecting with the school community so please come up and say hi at drop off and pick up!

Tanya Jarman
Advancement & Marketing Manager