This week we were privileged to have Martin Heppell from The Resilience Project join us to speak with students, staff and parents. You may remember a visit we had from his co-presenter Hugh van Cuylenburg, a couple of years ago. Hugh had a significant impact on all who heard him speak, reminding us of the importance of gratitude, empathy and mindfulness.

This year, as I explained in an earlier eNews, we have been using the diary and curriculum developed by The Resilience Project, in an effort to support the mental health and wellbeing of students and staff. It’s wonderful to have Martin here to give some context for this work, and to inspire our school community.

At the time of writing, I have attended Martin’s talk to our Year 4 to 6 students, our staff session, and the parent evening. I’m sure you would have loved to be a fly on the wall to see the excitement and enthusiasm with which our young students embraced Martin’s message. Not to mention the crazy dancing! They were reminded that taking the time to think about what they have, rather than what they do not have, is important for their wellbeing. He reminded them of the importance of kindness and how it is good not only for the recipient, but for themselves as well.

Previous Image Pause Next Image

Martin encouraged staff and parents to let their students and children see them fail, and to talk about failing, so that they know this is normal and it is an opportunity for growth. Learning to fail now, will mean that when it happens in the future, our students are more likely to be resilient and find a way through, to become even better people.

If you didn’t get a chance to attend the parent session, I encourage you to have a conversation with your Year 4 to 12 student about what Martin spoke about. If your child is younger than that and didn’t participate in the session, use their diary as a basis for a similar conversation. Keeping these ideas front and centre is good for the wellbeing of us all.

Liz Collins
Head of Wellbeing