This year for the first time, each of our Senior School Leaders was given a portfolio which assigns them to specific areas within the School. Daniel McArthur (Year 12 Kelly) was assigned as the School Leader for Social Media and Communications. As well as running the School Instagram account, Daniel has the opportunity to contribute to the eNews, and this week is writing about the upcoming UK Cricket Tour.

As a part of my co-curricular activities within the Westminster Senior School, I have been privileged to be selected for the upcoming 2018 Westminster UK Cricket Tour. This tour has been ongoing since 1991, with the last Tour taking place three years ago in 2015. On Friday 15 June, 16 players will embark on 23 fabulous days of cricket, sightseeing, and cultural experiences through Scotland, England, and France. The trip includes 11 games of cricket against schools such as George Watson's College Edinburgh, Felsted School Essex, Clifton College Bristol, and Monkton Combe Bath. We will spend time in London seeing all of the sights as well as a West End Show. We then take the P&O Ferry to France for three days, including two nights in Paris and a day in the Somme Valley Battlefields, before returning to Adelaide on Monday 9 July. As you can see by the schedule, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the team, and the excitement is growing with every day closer to the departure.

Personally, I have played cricket as a sport since I was as young as three years old, and have played within the school environment since I arrived at Westminster in 2010. Through the years, I have been involved in various levels of competition, and earlier this year I was honoured to receive the role of Vice Captain for the School’s First XI.

Of course, a trip such as this could not take place without the constant support from the team’s coaches, staff, and parents. On behalf of the team, I would personally like to thank them for their support, as well as the tremendous fundraising efforts throughout the School. This included our many Cricket Tour ‘Sausage Sizzles’, our Lawn Bowls afternoon, and our very successful ‘Auction Night’ where Australian player Alex Carey presented players with their uniforms. This Tour is another very special example of the endless opportunities that Westminster has given me, as well as all of the players, and will surely be an experience that I will never forget.

Dan McArthur
Year 12 Kelly
School Leader for Social Media and Communications