‘Round Square’ Plans for Term 3!

After a very relaxing mid-year break, Term 3 looks to be another busy, yet rewarding term for Round Square. During the holidays and Weeks 1 and 2 of Term 3, we saw the arrivals of four very enthusiastic Exchange students from the UK, USA and Italy and they are all settling in well to life in Australia. I will keep you posted on their visit over the next couple of eNews articles.

In addition to taking care of our Exchange students, Westminster students are continuing their great work in Service, with valuable programs continuing at Resthaven and Foodbank, as well as a variety of other opportunities. Term 3 also sees our students become involved in initiatives such as Red Dove Café at the Royal Adelaide Show, Legacy Badge Day, and other fundraising activities to support a variety of charities/organisations and contributions to the Round Square Discovery Fund (more information below).

I personally am really looking forward to the end of Week 9, when I will head to Ottawa, Canada, along with Matthew Stone and six student delegates from Years 10-12 (Teagan Bigg, Tori Cubillo, Caitlin Charman, Riley Chapman, Jordan Nicolle, and Alec Glynn) to participate in the Round Square International Conference 2018. Our Principal, Simon Shepherd, will also join us for part of this trip. A great global opportunity for us all.

Preparations also continue in Term 3 for activities such as the Year 10 Service Day (held in Term 4), and other international and local student conference opportunities to be held in 2019. I urge all students to keep updated with this information both on the Round Square website and also via emails that I will send asking for interest. Many of these opportunities are also advertised in the daily notices, as well as the fortnightly eNews.

Red Dove Cafe and Legacy Badge Day

Very soon, I will be advertising for volunteers to be involved in Red Dove Café at the Royal Adelaide Show, and also Legacy Badge Day. Both of these Service opportunities take place in early September.

Red Dove Café, run by the Uniting Church, always appreciates our student volunteers to help out with serving food and clearing tables. This will be available to all Year 8-12 students, and shifts will be allocated on a first in first served basis, according to return of consent forms. I will email these forms directly to all students in Years 8-12 this week, once I have finalised the days that they will require our help.

Legacy Badge Selling will be available to all students in Years 10-12, however there are limited shifts available for this (probably a total of about 8-10 students required). It will be held in close proximity to the School at the Parkholme shopping centre, with each shift being no more than two hours. I will also email information to all students this week about this opportunity.

The Round Square Discovery Fund

*information taken from the Round Square Website, www.roundsquare.org

Each year every Round Square Member school is asked to pledge a sum of money to the Round Square Discovery Fund, which raises vital monies for International Service Projects materials, tools, and associated costs, as well as bursaries for students that would not otherwise be able to participate in RSIS or RSIC activities.

Local Communities

Through RSIS projects, teams of students from Round Square schools work in partnership with local communities, often in the developing world, to maximise their limited resources to improve access to education, improve hygiene and even create employment opportunities. Money fundraised by students for the Discovery Fund make these projects possible by paying for essential tools, building materials and costs associated with transporting tools and materials to site.

Over the years, the students that have participated in RSIS Projects have invested the funds generously raised by their peers in support of communities in need around the world, making a lasting difference through building and renovating schools, houses, bridges and washing facilities.

Equal Opportunities

We believe that all Round Square students, regardless of their financial circumstances, should have the opportunity to participate in Round Square Conference and Project activities. Each year a small number of bursaries are provided by the Discovery Fund to support participation by students whose particular financial circumstances would otherwise prevent them from participating. Successful bursary applications are supported by a letter from the applicant’s Head of School, and in each case assessed by Round Square’s bursary panel.

Our school community

Fundraising for Round Square is a great way to get everyone in your school involved in making a positive difference in the world. It can help to bring the IDEALS to life even for students that might not have the chance to directly participate in service or conference activities. Through engaging students with the SERVICE pillar in this way, a school can shape a range of activities, planning discussions, and decision-making processes through which pupils discover concepts and qualities that fit with each of the six RS IDEALS.

Between January and December students in all Round Square Global Member Schools are encouraged to undertake fundraising activities to raise money for the Discovery Fund.

Fundraising for the Discovery Fund can be great fun. Offering something in return for a donation can be a fantastic way to engage your supporters and make the process enjoyable for everyone and to engage your whole school community. There are loads of things you can do to raise funds, and here at Westminster we encourage our students to be creative and propose ideas that will involve as many people as possible.

The money is raised by students throughout the year, and it is notionally suggested that the sum be equivalent to the price of two cups of coffee per pupil in the school. Students should take ownership of the fundraising activities and it should engage the whole school community.

Our school's pledge is formally presented each year at the Prince Alexander Fundraising luncheon at the Round Square International Conference.

The Prince Alexander Fundraising Luncheon at the RSIC

The Prince Alexander Fundraising luncheon is held every year at the Round Square International Conference to recognise the fundraising that students carry out in support of the Discovery Fund.

Each school is invited to nominate one of their delegates to attend the lunch and to pledge a donation (in a sealed envelope) on behalf of their school. The pledge relates to the calendar year in which the conference is hosted (January to December) and should reflect student fundraising that has already taken place prior to the conference as well as any planned for the two to three months after, before the end of the year.

Exchanges Update for Term 3

Incoming Exchange students

As I mentioned above, we have recently celebrated the arrival of four Exchange Students to Westminster School. We hope that they all have a great ‘Aussie’ experience and make the most of the weeks they spend here with us. A warm Australian welcome goes to:

• Lucy Colbert, Cobham School, UK  - hosted by Amy McDonald (Year 10 Forder), arrived Tuesday 17 July
  • Matthew Whitfield, Athenian School, USA - hosted by Kurt Schenk (Year 10 Fereday), arrived Tuesday 24 July
  • Chiara Longoni, Istituto Comprensivo A. Traversi, Italy - hosted by Claire Rose (Year 10 Dunstan), arrived Tuesday 24 July
  • Holly Maycock, Abbotsholme School, UK - hosted by Chloe Short (Year 11 Heaslip), arrived Tuesday 31 July

Round Square Regional Exchange Reflection - Daniel Shepherd (Year 8 Woollacott)

On the Saturday of Week 8, Term 2, I went across to Bunbury in WA on a Year 8 Regional Exchange with the Round Square program. Where is Bunbury you might ask? Well, it’s a two-hour drive south of Perth. The school that I would be attending for the weeks I was there was Bunbury Cathedral Grammar School, or BCGS. My host student, also in Year 8, was Josh Fowler who is planning on coming over to Westminster later this year.

I think that my exchange was a great experience to see another school and another part of Australia. It taught me how to make new friends, not to be afraid of the unknown, and to take on every opportunity. It also showed me that Fortnite is a common bonding ground for all boys. I recommend an exchange for everyone because it is a life experience and it really throws you in the deep end!

Anyone interested in finding out more information about conferences, or any other Round Square initiative should contact me via Email if in the Senior School, or contact Mr Chris Haines via Email if you are in the Preparatory School.

Julia Chukwuani
Round Square and Exchanges Coordinator